7th – 13th October 2019
The Poetry Competition is being run by the local writers group, The Penny Bank Writers. The timings are Judging on Saturday 12th October in The Grove Buildings in Mere and Prize Giving at The Lecture Hall, Mere, on Sunday 13th October.
Supported by AMULET RESIDENTIAL of Mere
Tailored Letting & Property Management
www.amuletresidential.co.uk amuletresidential @gmail.com Tel: 01747 356176 or 07543 372755
SENIOR JUDGE – Dr. Rosie Jackson
Award Winning Poet * Hawthornden Fellow * Lecturer
Author of The Light Box
OPEN POETRY COMPETITION – CLOSING DATE July 1st.2019 Write an original poem on any topic of no more than 40 lines for a chance to win a cash prize.
MAJOR PRIZES: 1st Prize £200 2nd Prize £100 3rd Prize £50
Prize winners may be published on the Festival website.
Three runners-up £15 – Certificates of Distinction and Merit
PERFORMANCE PRIZES: Short-listed poems will be showcased at the festival’s Poetry in the Grove event and judged by the audience, prior to the announcement of competition results.
LOCAL AWARDS: Poem by a resident within a 10-mile radius of Mere. Please send two copies of your poem and mark your cover sheet with a capital ‘L’.
ADJUDICATION AND AWARD CEREMONY SUNDAY 13TH OCTOBER AT 3.00PM
£4.50 first poem – £3.50 second and subsequent entries
Please make cheques payable to: PennyBank Writers
Entries must not bear the name of the author but should be sent with a cover sheet with author’s name, address, phone number, email where possible and title/s of poem/s submitted together with the correct entry fee to:
MLF Poetry Competition, Lawrences, Old Hollow,
Mere, Wiltshire, BA12 6EG
Please indicate on cover sheet eligibility for the Local Award.
CLOSING DATE FOR ENTRIES: MONDAY 1st JULY, 2019
1. All entries must be the original work of the entrant and must not have been previously published, broadcast on radio or TV or awarded a prize in a competition.
2. Entries must be in English and typed or very clearly written on one side only of A4 paper.
3. Submissions must not bear the name of the author which should only appear on the Cover Sheet. Submissions bearing author identification will be disqualified and entry fees will not be returned. Entries will be coded for the judging.
4. Any number of entries may be submitted providing they all are listed on the cover sheet and the relevant fees are enclosed.
5. No competitor may win more than one major prize. This limit does not apply to supplementary or special prizes.
6. Entries will not be returned and competitors are advised to keep a copy of their work. All reasonable care will be taken but the Mere and District Linkscheme and PennyBank Writers of Mere accept no responsibility for the loss or damage to manuscripts.
7. Submissions will not be acknowledged unless a suitably worded, stamped addressed postcard is included with the entry.
8. The judges’ decisions are final. No correspondence will be entered into.
9. Copyright of material remains with the author but the Mere and District Linkscheme reserve the right to use entries at festival events.
10. Trustees of the Mere and District Linkscheme and anyone helping to organise the festival are not eligible to enter any competition.
11. Shortlisted entrants and merit awards will be notified by 30th September and all winners will be announced at the Festival Sunday event. Results will be made available to the Local and Writing Press. Competitors wanting a copy of the results or monies raised should enclose a s.a.e. marked ‘Results’ or ‘Money’ with their entry.
12. In the event of the competition being cancelled due to unforeseen circumstances, all monies will be refunded in full.
Organised for Mere Literary Festival by PENNYBANK WRITERS of MERE
Supporting MERE and DISTRICT LINKSCHEME Reg. Charity No.1062328